Saturday 1 May 2010

Talking to Strangers

This afternoon I went to Morrison's to buy ready meals for my 'home alone while parents go on random holiday in Chichester' stint at the end of the week. As usual I was listening to music and daydreaming on the way there, so after taking my headphones out in the actual shop I was still a little zoned out and only paying attention to choosing which ready meals didn't look gross (very few.)

When I got to the check out, still in my usual walking alone dazed state, I was a little unprepared for the conversation with the very friendly check out man, who after I said hello to him, asked me the following questions:

1. How are you?
2. Have you had a nice day?
3. What have you been up to this week?
4. Are you quite shy? You've gone bright red.
5. Do you have a bag? (Ok, this one was about the shopping)
6. Are you thinking of Uni?
7. Which one?

To which the answers were:

1. Fine thanks. You?
2. Er...yes.
3. Erm, not much.
4. Er...yes.
5. Yeah, I've got one thanks.
6. Yes.
7. UEA.

The Uni thing started because he said 'good luck doing whatever you're doing,' and I said 'Erm, A-Levels' becuase I was feeling like a mean, cold person for going red as opposed to volunteering any information. It occured to me that I either need to:

a) get better at talking to strangers, or
b) learn to use the self check-out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment